If you find it difficult to slim down and don't know what to do to get rid of those pesky extra kilos, just start with a few basic rules. Here are a few weight-loss tips from Olivier, our Domyos trainer, to help you lose weight slowly without a second thought!
What exercises make you lose weight?
When it comes to losing weight, there's no magic formula: you have to focus on major muscle groups, i.e., bum, legs, back and chest. You also have to do cardio to get your heart pumping and burn calories. For best results, you should do a combination of both weight training and cardio training.
If you want to lose weight slowly, listen to your body. Exercise at your own rhythm and level - there's no need to overdo it! What's important is that you set a training time and stick to it (between 20 and 40 minutes) and not force yourself to do difficult exercises.
What's the best training method to lose weight?
The best training method to lose weight is to work muscle groups repeatedly for a set time. Circuit training programmes are especially effective, as they combine cardio and muscle strengthening exercises. With circuit training, weights used (such as dumbbells) are light, while intensity is achieved through high reps and short recovery periods.
If you train at a gym, try walking on a treadmill, an exercise bike, the cross trainer or the rowing machine. Your workout should be energetic: maintain a comfortable rhythm (as a guideline, you should be able to hold a conversation but not sing while you work out and you should not be in physical pain).
What are some diet tips to lose weight?
To slim down, you should follow a few basic nutritional guidelines. These are recommended by our coach:
- No snacking!
- Say no to sodas and alcohol, which can lead to weight gain
- Opt for home cooked meals rather than ready-made meals
- Choose foods with a low glycemic index
- Eat carbohydrates (pasta, rice, bread) in the morning: they are a good source of energy and will be burnt off throughout the day. Eat a moderate amount for lunch and a small portion in the evening.
- Avoid refined cereal products such as white bread, sweetened cereals, white rice or regular pasta
- For lunch, be sure to have a mix of protein (fish, meat, egg), carbs and veggies. For dinner, focus on protein and veggies.
- Avoid grabbing something quick and easy for lunch. Take the time to fix your lunch the night before so you don't end up starving and eating a huge dinner.
Sneaky weight gain: Pitfalls to avoid
There's no need to be super strict to lose weight. A few good choices will help you keep the weight off for good. Avoid these pitfalls to stay slim and healthy.
- Not sleeping enough
- Restrictive dieting
- Not exercising (easy tip: take the stairs instead of the lift)
- Don't buy clothes that don't fit. Go up a size so you feel good.
- Don't go hungry: have a snack with the kids!
These weight loss tips will help you get back in shape in a flash. It's simple: to lose weight, you have to expend more calories than you consume. That means eating less food of better quality and moving more!